Friday, March 23, 2012

Capetown, South Africa

Capetown has the slowest wifi Internet service. Trying to blog has been an exercise in frustration. Otherwise, I am having a wonderful time. How to describe Capetown. Try to imagine a waterfront 3-4 times larger than Baltimore's. There are 3 large malls.which have the usual food courts (McDonalds, Subway, Haagen Daz)' plus an array of International foods. Many restaurants and hotels. The flavor is a little bit of New Orleans, maybe a little of San Francisco, and a little of Siney, Australia. very cosmopolitan, with veritable babel of languages. At the Victoria &Alfred waterfront. You hear music all of the time, and of every style imaginable. The shops are very expensive, I won't be bringing home any souvenirs from here! The craft markets Have been disappointing here, but. There are a lot of more remote places to go. Capetown is dominated by Table Mountain. It looms over the city, and at times resembles a painted backdrop. At times it links close enough to touch. Often. The"tablecloth" (clouds) spills over the top and down the steep sides. I was thrilled by my first wildlife sighting, a cape fur seal at sunset, who, I could swear was waving at me. He kept rolling over and waving a flipper into the air. Today I happened. Onto a dock that aw loaded with seals. Try not to get downwind of them, the stench is like rotting fish and feces. My hotel is right on the waterfront with a view from the restaurant of table mountain. My room overlooks the piazza, and the. "Excellent Wheel" (think of the London Eye). One of the first things that I did here was ride the ferris wheel. The Two Oceans Aquarium is just steps from my hotel. I spent a pleasurable afternoon there today, the highlight was when they walked the rock hooper penguins right through the museum and up to their. Beach on the 2nd floor. I felt like I was part of a parade as I and many others followed them. Tomorrow I transfer to the very elegant. Table Bay Hotel for just one night, and then on Sunday the cruise begins. Monday will be at sea. Our 1st port will be Luderitz, Namibia on Tuesday. Until the next time, Barbara

2 comments:

  1. Your description is so enticing ! I look forward to "hearing" more !
    Here in our little part of the world pollen is upon us ! Remember that? ! Alan swear that if he is pollenated any more he will give birth to pinecones on his arm !
    Ah well... keep us abreast of your wonderful trip--as you know I am a good armchair traveller,
    Love,Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Barb...unimaginable thrill to be where you are! Totally enjoying your descriptions! It is quite warm here in upstate NY...I've been riding every day and walking trying to get back to a healthy place after a year of being a slug. Can't wait to read more!!! big hugs!

    ReplyDelete